The Cades Cove Preservation Association and Great Smoky Mountain Heritage Center will host the 2020 Winter Heritage Festival on January 24th-26th at the GSM Heritage Center’s auditorium. Come and listen as local historians share stories from the Smokies past.
Friday January 24th
- 11am Myers Cemetery: Marilyn Byrd and Glenn Myers. A discussion on cemetery recovery, how to maintain a historic cemetery, and the history of the Myers Cemetery in Townsend.
- 1:30pm Cherokee Removal: Mark Davidson. A historic look at removing the Cherokee from Western NC, Tennessee, and North Georgia.
- 2:30pm National Park Services Collections and Preservation Center: Baird Todd, Museum Curator. The purpose of the Preservation Center and how it works. Artifacts shared.
- 7pm Maddie Carpenter McCullough and Jordan McCullough. An hour of entertainment by two local and talented singers.
Saturday, January 25th
- 10am Cades Cove from the notes of Inez McCauley “Granny” Adams and Earl Adams: Traci Adams Boone and Lindsey Adams Payne share the love their grandparents held for Cades Cove and some of their Cove projects.
- 11am Leaving Cades Cove: Lucille Britton, Laverne McCarter, and Lois Kaye Russell. The daughters of Asa and Amy Sparks discuss leaving the Cove after graduating high school.
- 12noon Iron Skillet lunch served by Rachael and Johnny Davis.
- 1:30pm The Anthony Family of Cades Cove: Lois Shuler Caughron and Ruth Caughron Davis share history of the Anthony Family.
- 2:30pm The Sparks Reunion: Larry Sparks and Jewel Scott. A history of Cades Cove’s longest running family reunion from the first reunion held in 1925, to descendants of family who are returning to Cades Cove from the West to attend this reunion.
Sunday, January 26 at Big Precious Resort at 2:00pm
- Join former Cades Cove residents for “Precious Memories” stories and light refreshments. More information: 865-977-7525
Great Smoky Mountain Heritage Center
January 24 - 26